Back pain is the 2nd-most common reason for visits to the doctor. (Upper-respiratory infections is first.) Most back pain cases are mechanical, that is, not caused by serious conditions like inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture, or cancer.
The back is a complex structure of bones, joints, ligaments, and muscles. You can sprain ligaments, strain muscles, rupture discs, and irritate joints, all of which can cause back pain. Sports injuries and accidents can cause back pain, but even the simplest movements (like bending over and picking up a pencil) can have painful results. Arthritis, poor posture, obesity, and psychological stress can cause or add to back pain. Disease of the internal organs, such as stones or infections of the kidneys, blood clots, or bone loss, can also result in back pain.
If you have back pain, schedule an appointment with Binder Family Chiropractic. Your pain is likely to be caused by mechanical problems that our doctors of chiropractic can address. Chiropractic spinal manipulation is a safe and effective spine pain treatment. It decreases the need for medication, rapidly advances physical therapy, and requires few passive forms of treatment, such as bed rest.
A few basic principles can prevent back pain:
- Bend your hips and knees, and then squat, to lift something. Keep your back straight, and hold the object close to your body.
- Don't twist your body while lifting.
- Push, rather than pull, when you move heavy objects.
- If you must sit for long periods, take frequent breaks and stretch.
- Wear flat shoes or shoes with low heels.
- Exercise regularly. An inactive lifestyle contributes to lower-back pain.
Tell your doctor of chiropractic if you experience any of the following:
- Pain goes down your leg below your knee.
- Your leg, foot, groin, or rectal area feel numb.
- You have fever, nausea, vomiting, stomach ache, weakness, or sweating.
- You lose bowel control.
- Your pain is caused by an injury.
- Your pain is so intense you can't move freely.
- Your pain doesn't seem to be getting better quickly.